I had this completely unrealistic dream of one day having my own photo Studio. Why was it unrealistic? Because technically speaking, I didn't really need a Studio. I was perfectly happy providing the best service to my clients by traveling to them.
But there was something missing without a space to call my own. I didn't want to just provide the best service to my clients, I wanted to provide an unforgettable experience, too. I wanted full control over the presentation. I wanted to create a comforting environment and to welcome them into my space as a proper host. I wanted to give the beautiful high-end products I sell a real place to live that would truly show off how beautiful they are. And you simply can't do that without a Studio.
So here we are.
It took me almost two months to make this little space my own. It slowly came alive, out of a detailed floor plan, a Pinterest board, and endless manual labor that made it all possible. Every corner of the 400 square foot space serves a purpose. The client meeting area is a welcoming living room where I can chat with perspective clients and show videos and images on the 48" LCD display. The "reveal wall" is the presentation space for the Ordering Appointments. Gorgeous hand-crafted frames decorate the walls and give clients a true perspective on sizing. And a mini beverage fridge holds refreshments that are perfect for little kids. I can now have 107" studio backgrounds that are super simple to switch out during a photoshoot with a wall-mounted system. And a working area with a mirrored wardrobe to hold all my packaging and supplies.
This Studio is truly a realization of my dream. I poured my entire soul into it.. to create a place deserving of the wonderful families I work with. I know it will change and grow, but one thing will always be the same, it will be a space that caters to my clients.. and something that creates a truly special experience for them.
A new process
Here is what will stay the same:
- I will still be traveling to Client's homes for family sessions. I truly believe that families, babies, and newborns should be photographed in their most special surroundings.
- Prices will remain the same (at least for now).
- My style isn't changing. A candid, editorial approach is still very much my jam.. the Studio option will simply allow me to simplify and further explore the essence of my approach.
- My focus will remain on providing a full-service experience and giving individual attention to each client (aka, this is not turning into a high-volume business).
Here are the things that will change:
- Clients will have the option of meeting me in the Studio for initial inquiry consultations.
- Ordering Appointments will now take place in the Studio to give Clients a better experience and greater access to products.
- I will now be offering kid's portrait sessions in the Studio. These will include three different looks, styling, and a really fun experience that caters specifically to older children.
- I will also be holding a couple of Mini Session events throughout the year to give families the opportunity to try out the experience without a huge time commitment.
And here are some images of my new Studio space.. but, of course, nothing beats seeing it in person. ;)